Sunday, June 5, 2011

Flea market finds...



A couple of weeks ago I needed to go into town to get a new tyre for the car. It just so happens that along the same road there are seven op shops.

Oh happy days. I had so many good finds, this is part one: Retro finds

Cute retro tea towel (above) that I plan to turn into a shopping tote.



I love this beautiful silky oak platter, 40 cm in diameter. I almost didn't get it. I'm glad I did because when I got it home - it is perfect. $4.00



Stylish, simple and never used. This wooden salad bowl and servers , $7.00







But here we are..... the piece de la resistance!

Here is what all the excitement is about. This time last year I became a little obsessed at finding a vintage fondue pot. I searched e-bay and found some great fondue sets in bright orange and yellow. The only problem: the ones I fell in love with were either in America or the UK. The postage was not something I could justify at the time.

I have been thinking about fondues again recently. It's that time of year. On the day I bought this fondue set I was in my first op shop and saw a cast iron one for $15:00, it wasn't the kind I was really looking for and I thought that $15.00 was bit too much, I was in an op shop after all. So I left it there, thinking I might go back. Then I walked in the next shop and nearly fell over. Here it was! $6:00, made in Austria, never used. The forks were still in the original box. I scooped it up and quickly took it to the counter while I continued to look around.

My only regret is of all of those other op shop outings when I have left sets of never used fondue plates on the shelves.

So my search continues. But plates or no plates, I think that there might be some fondue making appearing on my new blog sometime soon.

Come back next week to see the rest of my finds from that day. Part two: pretty and girly.

Go here, to see what other treasures have been found this week.

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to fondue blog posts!! I went to a party last year that had fondue, my first fondue experience and I was eager! I bought a book next time I saw one, but haven't justified the fondue set yet.... I wonder if my mother has an old one in the house somewhere??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fondue set is gorgeous. And those fondue plates you linked to - such beautiful colours. Looking forward to seeing the shopping tea towel tote - totes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANOTHER awesome op-shopper. I can't handle it. I am so bad at it and look what you've found!! Coolness! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love to fondue! Bread and wine cheese, strawberries and chocolate. . . Now I'm hungry. I also love the way you photographed the wooden plate and the salad bowl and utensils. Lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the fondue set, it was meant to be. Love the wooden wares too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that very same tea towel, but it is well used now. I do like that fondue set. I found an amazing set from the 60's, it's Swedish I think, and in immaculate condition, but can't bring myself to use it :( I went to a fondue dinner once and we deep fried camembert and skewered meat, followed by chocolate and strawberries. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many cool finds! I've never had fondue before, must give it a try sometime...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...