Friday, January 31, 2014

Is that Cinderella I see?


My cousin had told me about how she had put her 'little girls' to work, one day over the holidays. She gave them each a bucket of soapy water and set them to work; washing little dirty fingerprints from her freshly painted walls. She had been shocked at what a wonderful time that they had all had.

After a particularly trying day, near the end of our holidays, I thought I would do the same. With some basic housework on the to do list and some ratty kids that needed direction, I too, gave each of them a task. As I cleaned the bathroom, toilet and laundry, I gave them each bucket and asked them to wipe down the walls and skirting boards (one of my least favourite jobs). Guess what - it was pretty fun! I loved that we were all working together to make our home clean and tidy. There was a real sense of purpose and bonding, that I did not expect. It was time well spent.

Miss Moo Moo, went on to clean almost all of the skirting boards in the house, without having to be asked, however Spunky Monkey abandoned his bucket, five minutes in. He preferred instead to give orders. He wandered in and out of the house doing his own thing, occasionally coming up to one of us and saying: 

"Chop, Chop, lets get the job done!"

Miss Moo Moo had been saying how fun cleaning skirting boards was, however, after about an hour she said this:

"Cleaning skirting boards is fun. The first time you do it, it is really fun, the second time you do it, it is kinda of fun, the third time you do it, it is a bit boring and the fourth time you do it, it is a nightmare!"

I'm not sure how much cleaning/bonding time we will be having in the future!

3 comments:

  1. And believe us, the 1254th time you do it, it sucks the big one!!!

    And isn't she gorgeous in her stripes and florals. Just love! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hear you.

      I think next time I'll try her with vacuuming, another thing I hate to do and the one thing that irks me the most - dirty floors - a job I could easily do daily in this house.

      Delete
  2. We sometimes have a great response from our 6-year-old when we play "Dad-bot", "Mom-bot" and "Luke-bot" doing chores. We talk in robot voices and pretend to follow cleaning programs.

    Very odd - but our son loves robots!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...