Monday, November 26, 2012

Once upon a time

Once upon a time we owned 5 acres. No house.

We bought it when we still lived in Brisbane. While we loved working and living in Brisbane (it suited us in our twenties) We asked ourselves, what did we want for our future? What did we want for our children? We wanted to be closer to our parents for all of the obvious reasons. Being close with my Nana, I naturally wanted my own children to grow up near their grandparents. We wanted our children to have the freedom that we experienced in our own childhoods. So, years before we were married or had children we bought acreage with beautiful views over rolling green hills, about 40 minutes away from both mine and my husbands parents.

We started making scrapbooks of ideas, planning house designs and listing trees we wanted to plant in our orchard.



But after my son was born and we finally moved to the area, renting not far from our land. I realised that things might not turn out how I had dreamed it. I was lonely and at home with a five month old baby. We were planning for another child. I was in the car six days out of seven driving to see family and friends. I knew then, that I did not want to be alone on a farm from six in the morning until six at night. At that time in our life, my vision of my husband pottering about a little hobby farm, with our families popping in for home baked cakes and pots of tea was not going to be.

It took me a year to convince my husband to sell. This was not the right time and this was not the right place.

A few years ago when I started on (again) about this dream to my family, they all said that we  shouldn't have sold. But I knew then, as I do now, it wasn't right for us. It was a slopping block; we could never have built the type of house that we wanted to or set up our hobby farm as we had envisioned it. We could never have maintained it with such little children and me being alone all day. I have never regretted selling it. Not even now. It was a step we had to take. All leading us to where we are suppose to be.

I am hopeful, not discouraged. When the time is right, we will find ourselves exactly where we are suppose to be.

6 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right. It doesn't make it any easier right now, but you are exactly where you need to be. And the perfect house and land are on thier way to you... I just know it.
    SO rapt you're joining us for #reverb12, Ms Monkeemoomoo! It wouldn't be the same without your gorgeous self.
    Kat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a reminder of how we should live with all of the decisions that we make. It's just such a perfect, reflective, harmonious way of seeing that the things we do at any given time are the right decisions. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your lovely comment. This is why I love blogging so much. Insight. I know these were my words, but I hadn’t looked at it that way. I was just writing my thoughts as they came to me. But you are right, every decision we make (big or small) is the right one at the time. I didn't always know that.

      xo

      Delete
  3. I love that saying around the traps of blog world "bloom where you are planted". I read your previous post about the farm dream and hold tight onto that, but sort your blooming out right here and now. We were in love with another house for 10 years, it was a dream and we knew if it ever did sell we probably could not afford it. About 9 months before our son started school we wrote the owners a letter as it was in another suburb and we had to choose schools. I wrote about our love for the land, the trees, the old house, our family. We heard nothing and kept looking. About 2 months later I saw that a house around the corner from where we lived was for sale. It was not the house of my dreams but I went to have a look. And then I realised it had everything I had been looking for inside but looked different on the outside. It had the garden and trees I wanted. The owners had five offers, ours was not the highest but they felt our house was the most sellable. That house is Betsy and she was absolutely right for us. We bought in May and had plenty of time to sort out schools before the start of the year. Keep on dreaming but do some blooming too. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your lovely comment. I love your story. I am secretly in love with Betsy too:)

      2012 has not been my best year and I think I have been looking at my dream a little as an escape from my life (not always, but sometimes) But I intend to draw a line in the sand so to speak and have high hopes for 2013. As you said "to bloom where you are planted." I can make many lifestyle changes exactly where I am. I know that until I do, the right place will not present itself. If I found the perfect place tomorrow, I am not ready for the challenges that it will bring.

      First things first - bloom where you are planted! xo

      Delete
  4. i wanted to post a comment on your sheets but it would not let me do it on that post for some strange reason. Just wanted to say you always clean up in the vintage sheet department - I am so jealous. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...