Saturday, January 26, 2013

Happy Australia Day

We have decided to cancel Australia Day in our house.

A few days ago, I told my son the weather forecast for this weekend - rain, rain and more rain.

He said: "Well, we better cancel it"

I said: "you can't cancel Australia Day, Australia Day is Australia Day. We will barbecue outside and eat inside"

He said: "I'm not coming, I don't want wet sausages"

I couldn't argue with that, and to be honest, I really didn't want a heap of people crammed into our house on a rainy day either, we really don't have the space for it.



Later that day, I officially announced that Australia Day had been cancelled. I told the kids that we were Australians everyday and if we want to celebrate next week when it is sunny, then we will. They were much more excited by that. So our plans to eat pavlova and hamburgers and play old fashioned Australia Day games with our friends have been put on hold. Instead I think we will have a quiet day, which it probably a better idea anyway. A little bit of pottering about, maybe some crafting and/or baking, there's the school books still to cover and perhaps a family movie later today.



Yes, that sounds like a very nice 'Plan B'

Is the sun shining were you are today? What are your Australia Day plans and traditions?

(Is it just me, or does my 'dialogue' sound very Charlie and Lola? Oh dear, I think we have been reading too many Charlie and Lola books this holidays)

2 comments:

  1. I felt right at home reading 'Charlie and Lola' dialogue!
    The sun shone here and it was quite cool in comparison to the last few weeks. We almost needed a jumper this morning. Lamingtons are our Australia Day tradition, eating them that is not necessarily making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Yum lamingtons - yes, eating them, not making them!

      It looks like you had a great Australia Day:)

      xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...