Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Organised Home Challenge

A while back, I read on someone's (?) blog, this question.

If you could only move one piece of furniture with you across the country, what would it be?



This would be it. It is over 100 years old and made in India. I found it in a very small, country town about 10 years ago. I had to have it. My husband, did not think, that we had to have it. Apparently, we did not need it. It sat waiting patiently for me, for a nearly year, until I could wait no more. Without telling my husband I rang the store up and paid for it over the phone.



The day that it was due to arrive, the store owner rang me at work. His voice was breathless and I was worried. He told me I'd better have four strong men ready to take it off the truck when it arrived. Oh dear, we did not know anyone in Brisbane. So, I offered beer and dinner to a guy from work, if he would turn up at our place at 6:00pm, with a very a strong friend. He did and all was fine (well kind of). After dinner, with our new friends gone and a pile of boxes unpacked, the cupboard was filled to the brim. We have not added a thing since.

I guess we needed it after all.





I just love it and it contents of precious memories. Mainly filled with crockery and glasses from both mine and my husbands family's. Grandparents, great grandparents, great aunts and even great, great grandparents. And one or two found antique treasures.



I had other chores penciled in this week, for my continuing quest, for an organised home. But this cupboard needed my attention. Despite my love for it, it had been neglected. It should have been re-oiled about eight months ago, but it hadn't. The wood was very dry, and with our weeks of rain, came the mold. The mold decided that this cupboard was the perfect thing to latch onto, and cover. Arrgh! The inside had to be done also and that meant it had to be emptied, something I did not want to do with the kids around. I had organised weekend away for them so the job could be done next week, however the mold was so irritating and unhealthy I couldn't bare it. I just did it. I gave the children a very big lecture about 'touching' and unpacked all of the breakable heirlooms onto the dining table. It sat here for the next four days.

I cleaned the mold off with vinegar, washed all of the crockery and oiled the inside and out with orange oil. With the glassed cleaned and the contents neatly back in their place, it is back to being my favourite piece of furniture again.

Just a second coat of oil to go onto the outside today.

And another job will be crossed off the list.

Go here, to see who else has been getting organised around their home this week.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! My mother and grandmother always had similar cabinets (well glass fronted, not as big or decorated as yours) and I love the look. Might have to go antique shopping to find myself one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. I can see why you had to have it! I'm so glad it was still at the store by the time you bought it ... I've done similar to chests of drawers and things ... never regretted it.

    Its contents, too, all look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful! I have a cabinet with glass doors on the top and a cupboard beneath..I got it for free from someone in Canberra who said a government department was going to dump it. It is made of good Tasmanian oak and is solid. It's very plain...but that makes it a good showcase for my china and bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a stunning cupboard - well worth the effort of re-oiling it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a stunning cabinet and it's even more lovely filled with family treaures. you must have felt so good having got that big job done, isn't there something so satisfying in cleaning dusty glass and doing a bit of wood polishing! thanks heaps for linking up to my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your crockery cupboard - it is stunning! And a huge cleaning job. The crockery looks beautiful - what a great collection! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is a beautiful cupboard and a wonderful story. I am so glad the cupboard waited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, we are only allowed ONE piece of furniture?? I am in BIG trouble!! I have, oh around 10 pieces I could not part with and no-one mention the contents of the fabric cupboard :}
    Next time you make this terrific effort, may I suggest you add a few drops of clove oil to your vinegar wash. This kills the mould spores and they don't come back.
    @Naturally Carol - have you had the timber checked by experts?? Just saying cause a lot of really early government cupboards were made out of Australian Red Cedar. (now extinct) They are often much heavier than they look, have very simple clean lines and come up as quite red when polished. Made around 1850's.
    Cheers
    Lush

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...