Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Slow day, slow cooking



No school, no swimming lesson, no grocery shopping, no hairdresser.

Now, with horrible coughs and sore throats, we decided to cancel Tuesday.

A restful day has served us all well and feeling heaps better this afternoon, I cooked this yummy dinner.

I don't know what it is about this dish, but when the aroma of garlic, cinnamon, white wine and bay fills the room, you know all is right with the world. I have been making this recipe for about 15 years, I have no I idea where I copied it from and it has been adapted slightly. It's simplicity was perfect for tonight. So delicious, I thought it was about time I shared it.

Braised greek chicken

(Kotopoulo Kampama)

(serves 6)

• 2 kilo chicken pieces (wiped dry)
• 1.5 tables. butter
• 1.5 tables olive oil
• 1 onion (finely diced)
• 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1 bay leaf
• 5 cm piece cinnamon stick
• 1/2 teas. sugar
• 1 x 400 gram tinned tomatoes
• 1 tables. tomato paste
• salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter and oil in a heavy based casserole dish. brown the chicken on all sides, remove and set aside. Reduce the heat and gently saute the onions and garlic until transparent. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, including the chicken. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick and serve.

I serve this with macaroni and grated parmesan cheese, with a big green salad on the side. Serve crusty bread too, if you have it, unfortunately I didn't tonight.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...