Thursday, September 9, 2010

A sneaky peek



She is finished. Miss Moo Moo's fourth birthday present. Clara and her Nutcracker Doll.

We have got tickets to see the BCYB production of the Nutcracker for Miss Moo Moo's birthday (just us girls, as Miss Moo Moo will say). This post by Soulemama made me really want to take my daughter to the ballet. Then, this book by Alicia Paulson inspired me to make a Clara doll. One month ago I saw the youth ballet production advertised and it all seemed like fate.


Greta, Sophie, Betty and this mikodesign doll. (sorry to say that she still has no name and no clothes. But that does not mean that she is not loved, and apparently it is absolutely fine that she plays in her 'pajama's all day long)

So with inspiration from everywhere and the help of these girls (photo above), I was able to come up with a pattern and size of doll I was happy with. I have made a few soft toys over the years, for my kids and for friends, but with some great tips from my aunt and lessons learnt from my own mistakes, this is the best doll that I have made so far. And it has hair! I can't tell you what a worry that has been for me, it is the reason I have only made animals or monsters or aliens or babushka dolls in the past. I just didn't know how to tackle the hair.



No need to worry anymore.



I'm not so happy with the Nutcracker (the legs and boots) Another learning curve, the black felt I used was an op shop find, a bit cheap and nasty. But I am proud to say that the entire doll was made with things from in my cupboard, I have a great cupboard.

And as my heart does a somersault, I'll tell you - the dress is made from my Nana's nightie.

I just hope Miss Moo Moo loves it as much as I do. I'm pretty sure she will.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god she is so beautiful, I want to make one for Lucy now!!!!!!
    Well done, she will be loved thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...