Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lest we forget



ANZAC day was cool and rainy. But that didn't stop us and many others, umbrella's in hand, going to the dawn service.



After breakfast, my father showed me the war metals from his family. My grandmother had given them to him in December last year. I had never seen them before. They had belonged to his father and his grandfather. After years of being passed around to different family members, some are missing. So Dad has given me the job of trying to find out which have been lost. I guess a visit to my local RSL will be in order. I would love to see my father proudly march wearing these metals one day.

We watched the ANZAC Day parade in Gympie. We borrowed the large country town as our own for just a moment, when passing through, and enjoyed their community spirit. It was a lovely parade.







Near the eternal flame, just behind the main street we stumbled upon these beautiful mosaic murals of life in war, past and present.

A moving day of remembering and for me, imagining what life might have been like during those war years. One of my Great Grandfathers died in World World I, fighting for British Army, my other Great Grandfather also fought in the same area of France. Both of my grandfathers fought in World war II, in different places. My Grandad was a prisoner of war for 2 years and was already married to my Nana, who waited at home with a daughter he had never seen.

Imagine waiting and not knowing?

So many stories.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...