Saturday, April 6, 2013

Crepe myrtle love




This morning I have thrown out the, almost bear branches of this crepe myrtle that has been brightening my home all week.

I love crepe myrtle trees. Here in Queensland there are not many trees that change with the seasons. The crepe myrtle is a tree that looks beautiful anytime of year. Yesterday, as I drove into town I saw that the trees too, had now lost their bright lolly coloured blooms and their leaves were starting to turn and fall.

Autumn is my one of my favourite times of year, although I have mostly lived here in Queensland, without a true Autumn, my memories of living in other parts of the world are strong. How I would love to rug up and venture out for a long walk under the branches of ancient, golden trees. I'd love to russell and crush my way over layers of fallen leaves. I'd love to sit on a park bench with my children and drink hot chocolate from a thermos.

But you have to take what you can get. Right now, I am glad that the crepe myrtle is getting ready to show it's Autumn colours.

Do you have a favourite tree? Do you like Autumn or do you prefer another time of year?

6 comments:

  1. Those branches must have been beautiful indoors, enjoying their prettiness and colour all week. Autumn is my favourite month for sure - cooler days, crisper mornings, but warm enough still to enjoy the outdoors without the scorching heat. Here in WA, autumn hasn't seemed to have arrived yet... the temperature has remained in the 30's x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have heard WA seems a similar temperature to Queensland. It has still been hot here too. Yesterday we were out and the weather changed, cold and windy, we were all cold and glad we had taken a jumper along with us, but in least than an hour, the weather had cleared and we were peeling off our jumpers and complaining about the heat!

      xo

      Delete
  2. My favourite trees here in Adelaide would have to be the Jacarandas...each Christmas time, or just before, the streets here are double sided with them, and the roads are a carpet of purple, along with the purple agapanthus that us Adelaidians seem to love too, its a sea of purple............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jacarandas too, they remind me of Brisbane where I happily lived for many years, and of my childhood. We had three large Jacaranda trees growing outside my childhood home – they do look amazing when in full bloom :)

      xo

      Delete
  3. I love the changing of the crepe myrtles as well, we have one the same colour as yours, such a beautiful shade. Ps very cute bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty display! Looks so lovely, (while it lasts!) We have a crepe myrtle here too but ours is real bright pink, actually they are the street tree, you know the ones planted in front of everyone's house. Like the jacarandas! It's not changing colour yet, but everything else is, am hoping to get out with my camera this week....stay tuned. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...