Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pretty little bunting


While poking around in the craft basket in the back room of my favourite op shop last Monday, I found a little plastic bag of goodies. While some people might think that this was just a pile of tiny practice squares, good for nothing, I saw bunting!


I quickly snapped up the $2.00 bag, excited, knowing exactly how good this would look with our Easter decorations.


The bunting finally got hung on the evening before Good Friday. On Tuesday of last week I drove half an hour to a shop, that I was sure sold floral liberty bias binding. But when I got there, I was wrong. Instead I chose a large polka dot in a deep coral. It looked great with the colours of the little crochet squares in the shop, but the next day when I started sewing it up, the colour was just too dark. Once hung, all you would have noticed would have been the coral strip of the bunting top and the soft pastel colours would have just disappeared. So after school pick up, I dragged the kids to Lincraft, another half hour trip. I deliberated between a soft grey and peach for over 10 minutes. I am not a 'peach' girl. But the grey was just wrong.



On Thursday afternoon I finally sat down and sewed up the tiny bunting. More than once I thought that I should have got the wider bias binding, as sewing 5x5 cm uneven crochet wool and cotton squares was just a tad fiddly to say the least!

But in the end, it was perfect, it was exactly how I imagined it would look.

Have you given any thrifted crafts finds a new life lately?


4 comments:

  1. Your bunting is SO love;y - well done for seeing the potential in those practice squares!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, it was nice to have the sewing machine out again, it had been a while:)

      Delete
  2. Love the bunting - great recycling ! I am always buying things at the opshop and refashioning them - have even started buying quilted bed protectors to reuse as wadding for the inside of quilts for the ends of my kids beds - as new wadding is so expensive by the metre. And I still buy chenille quilts and make pyjama pants and dressing gowns for the kids and even myself. I just love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karyn. I love your great recycling ideas. I bought a flannette sheet from the op shop yesterday and I think that it will make some great pj pants for me this winter.

      Just this week, I packed away (into memory boxes) the chenille pants that you made for my kids. I was thinking it was about time for a new pair...!

      Happy sewing xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...