Friday, March 15, 2013

Making me smile


I know it's has been a long time since I have written about our garden. Between the rain and the grasshoppers there is not too much to tell. Lets just say, that it's not pretty.

Devastation and neglect are two words that come to mind.

But here is something that is pretty. Here is something that is making me smile every time I look out the back window.



I bought these for a couple of dollars at the market about a month ago. Rain or shine the flowers wake each day as if to say "good morning". Their blooms, the most fabulous lolly pink, brighten my days.

They remind me of my Nana and her garden. Does anyone know what they are called?

What is happening in your garden right now?

Have you started new plantings? I think I should have. Again the word 'neglect' comes to mind.

6 comments:

  1. They're a succulent, aren't they? With some totally inappropriate name like pigweed, or something like that. I could be wrong..
    They're so pretty.. The colours are so beautiful.
    Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, I have heard this plant called pigweed, now that you mention it, but my Nana called them portulacca's. Pigweed seems like a common name, apparently if you plant them in the garden they will take over. I might just do that. Thanks for commenting. Enjoy the sunshiny weekend:)

      Delete
  2. They are what you call Portulacca's - they are a very old favourite of mine, I used to grow them when I was a teenager, and they always brightened my day then too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and the common name was Sun Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karyn, yes, portulacca's! and they did grow in my Nan's garden, I wasn't sure if I just imagined it. And thanks for the extra comment, I think the lady at the markets told me that they were sun jewel and that's why I was confused. I drove past a lovely old Nana's garden down the road yesterday and smiled when I saw her garden filled with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep that's them, I had them at the Tambo, they go crazy and they will flower for ages! I also had Yellow ones. enjoy... XO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...