Thursday, February 28, 2013

King for a day



A friend asked about Spunky Monkey's birthday crown that he was wearing in my last post. I made the crown last year, one day before he turned seven.


All of the felt was excess in the cupboard just awaiting a project. The ric rac was too. I stiffened it with stiffening stuff (?) and put strips of wide velcro onto the back, so it can grow with him. Remember this was made the day before his birthday, I was out of elastic, and the velcro seems to be working fine.

After some deliberation with the buttons, I settled on these vintage acorn buttons. They were the perfect choice. They had been discovered in Grandma's button box a few years earlier by Spunky Monkey. He is always digging around in the cupboards at Grandma and Grandpa's house. They had been favourite buttons of Mr Moo's when he was a child, and they are perfectly suited to my nature loving boy.

And what belated birthday present arrived in the mail yesterday? a crochet bag filled with real acorns!! 

Thank-you Mrs Gooseberry. The perfect gift for so many reasons. xo

3 comments:

  1. Very well put together considering it was just the day before, and what a lovely gift, a bag of acorns - I want one too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karyn,

      The acorns have been a running joke between my cousin and I for years (long story) and when we went to visit her in Spring we spent a morning collecting acorn caps in the park. But we (I) had never seen an whole ‘real’ acorn before. As it is very seasonally autumn where she lives the acorns are on the trees, so that was Spunky Monkey’s present. They are in a jar in his room now and it makes me smile every time I look at them:)

      xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...