Sunday, February 17, 2013

When is too much, too much?


I can't wait for Downton Abbey tonight. Did you watch it last week? Wow! How beautiful did Mary look? I think I am a little bit too excited that this show has started again.

At the beginning of the year I wrote out a small list of things I wanted to change this year. Watching less TV was the third point on the list, right after: go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. You see, when I watch too much TV, I do not go to bed early and because I do not go to bed early, I either sleep in, resulting in a mad panic in the morning or I still wake up early up but I am a grumpy mummy. Some mornings I have snapped at my children for just mentioning my name. I get angry at myself, when they did nothing wrong and I get even angrier when I know the only reason I am tired is because I stayed up watching something like "Rizzoli and Isles" or some bad ninties movie featuring Demi Moore.

But already 2013 is proofing problematic in regards to my list. The thing is, period drama's seem to be all the go right now, and I find it impossible to pass up a good period drama. 



I have loved watching "the Hour" 


and "Upstairs Downstairs". Both shows finished last week.


 I am already completely taken in by "The Paradise." Love it.



I thrilled to bits about the return of "Downton"

and then there is "Parades End" still to come.


and "A Place to Call Home" as well. I love Marta Dusseldorp.


Oh and did I mention that I have been completely sucked into watching "My Kitchen Rules"- every night!

What about you? What are you watching? 

Do you have the willpower to turn off the TV and go to bed with a good book?

13 comments:

  1. It seem we have very similar viewing tastes! Unfortunately I watch THEN go to bed with a good book. It will have to stop or I won't make it to 'til April holidays! I have been known to eat small children before breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know it is just not me! I was doing that last year, when I had got into some really good books, sometimes reading until after midnight - not one of my best ideas. I was like a zombie the next day:)

      Delete
  2. Yes I was going to mention a good book. If i've got a good book on the bedside table I usually cant wait to turn the tv off and get reading.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zara, it has been months since I've read anything (apart from to do lists- christmas, school, birthdays) I think I need to find myself a new book to get into.

      xo

      Delete
  3. I dont watch tv, but i stay up wayyyyy to late reading, and blog surfing. Im going to have to stop soon-newborn imminent, but no doubt i'll still be a morning sourpuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, a newborn in the house! From my memory, doesn't all routine go out the window? I remember when my daughter was born, one night I fell sleep when I was folding the washing on the floor - it was 7pm. Perhaps there will be no more late night reading for you:)

      It must be any day now? Wishing you all the very best xo

      Delete
  4. We've had the TV off all holidays but it had to be set up for Downton. I've been waiting forever for this season to start back up - I love it! I'm usually knitting while the TV is on so don't see it as "wasted" time. Now I'm going to have to resist the temptation to check out these other shows you've mentioned. I do love a period drama. have a great week. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too, had thought about unplugging the TV and just setting it back up for 'movie night', but as you can see, my plan has gone pear shaped!

      Yesterday afternoon I got out a stitching project that I had started on before Christmas. As you said, by doing something, it doesn't feel like 'wasted' time. I have found this to be a very productive way to actually get projects finish in the past:)

      Delete
  5. I so wish I could drag my sewing machine into the TV room so I could watch MKR with my family - hand stitching is great but I don't do that much cos then I get to do both. Some nights I go to the gym and get to exercise and watch TV at the same time - maybe I could take my embroidery and sew and exercise AND watch all at the same time - now that would be something. (PS. I still have that girl fabric in Lucys bedroom - I love that she will never grow out of it - at least for another few years anyway. And yes the French one is cute. - The yellow and white sateen is gorgeous in real life too - much better than in the pics). Happy Downton viewing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I could have written this post! It's just like me. I adore Downton, and am so glad to see its return. Although I think I loved Upstairs Downstairs a little bit more. And the Hours, oh and the others you mentioned, except MKR I don't watch that otherwise I'd never get anything done.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, I have just spotted your comment.

    After a busy weekend of birthday madness it was nice to sit down each night to a favourite period drama on TV. As for My Kitchen Rules, I didn't watch it last week either. I must admit, I wasn't getting a lot done, I would sit with the folding by my side, with the best intentions, only to leave it untouched as I got completely taken in by the TV!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little ashamed to admit that I am stuck on MKR. It's more than enough drama for me and by that time of day I have finished all that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, thanks for stopping by:) I didn't watch MKR last week, I was kept pretty busy with party prep. I have a feeling that I will be watching again tonight - yes, I believe 'drama' is the right word for MKR this week!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...