Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Our birthday weekend





There were celebrations for days for Spunky Monkey's 8th birthday.





You know someone is maturing, when they no longer wake you up at 5:30 to open presents. For the first time, Spunky Monkey, got up and waited until we got out of bed before even mentioning his birthday.

After a frenzy of present opening and a road test of his new bike, Nanny arrived and joined us for a birthday breakfast: pancakes dotted with chocolate chips, the birthday boy's request.

Yes, I did give Spunky Monkey two antique print trays for his birthday. Maybe not everyone's idea of the perfect present for an eight year old. But he was wrapped!

A cake was taken to school to share with his class.




And what did he want to do the afternoon of his birthday? Re-arrange his room of course. He had been wanting to do this for a while and the new print trays were a great excuse. He has even colour coordinated his lego. I like this.






Dinner was the usual birthday dinner: tacos, followed by chocolate cake.




On the only sunny day before or since, we had Spunky Monkey's party: a simple barbecue in the park. School friends and cousins ran, climbed, imagined, played and battled over the contents of the pinata.

• the cake that I cooked for Spunky Monkey's birthday was this chocolate cake. It was decorated with raspberries and whipped cream. Inspired completely by Alicia's cakes.

• the lego cake was just a plain vanilla cake made like this one.

• the pinata was a computer paper box made the night before by Mr Moo, very similar to this one.

• The afternoon of the party, as the lollies gathered from the pinata were being gobbled up, I offered my kids a deal. I paid them 50 cents for each lolly they gave to me. As I tallied up the value on a piece of paper they quickly realised that this was a good idea and ended up giving me all of their lollies. I was thrilled that they would be eating no more sugar and have put the lollies aside to be given out at Halloween this year.It was a win win, I'd say.

4 comments:

  1. PERFECT!!!
    Lego, Print boxes, Tacos, Pinata and a big hug from Miss Moo. Love it.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all - the cake, the pinata, the print boxes - wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun birthday week. We are still waiting for the rain to stop so we can have my daughter's 6th birthday party (from 12th Feb), so it's a long extended party!
    My 8yr old boy would love love LOVE those print trays for his crystal collections. Whenever they go to markets, crystals are the only thing he spends his money on (oh and books as well). I'm sure our boys would have a heap of fun looking at their stones and playing lego together.

    Happy week to you. Thanks for your sweet words on my blog today xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellie, my son is like that with the rocks at markets too. He has already had the tape measure out and has been measuring up to see if another tray will fit in his room!

    "Mum, I'm going to need more because I will be going to markets and gem shows for the rest of my life you know!"

    xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...