Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas crafting? I don't think so



I was planning an afternoon of Christmas crafting today.

But instead I have spent the last 2 hours hand picking nits from my son's hair! It seems like the tooth fairy is not the only thing making it's 'first ever' appearance in our house this week.

I have been dreading this day and thought that we had got through another year head lice free. I knew that there had been head lice in class and with all of the last day hugging and goodbyes, a rogue louse has jumped onto Spunky Monkey's head. Of course two days later - eggs have been laid!

I'm off now to wash bedding and lounge cushions in hot water. I would be grateful for any home remedy tips if you have any.

2 comments:

  1. We have had a nit free year after 4 straight years of dealing with them going through the entire family. I suggest cheap conditioner and just comb every time you wash their hair. Nits are just dreadful and such a pain to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently had them for the first time too! It was the four year old and - ugh - me! I received some great advice from a mum at school. The lice cling really well to the hair and if any ever fall off, they don't live more than about 24 hours off a human head, so don't worry about going crazy washing everything. Bedding and bed toys yes but don't stress about anything else.
    After they hatch, it takes 7 - 10 days for them to be mature enough to lay an egg. So... if you use loads of cheap conditioner and a nit comb once a week for three weeks in a row (e.g. three Sundays in a row) you should 'break the cycle' so to speak. It's practically impossible to get rid of all the eggs so you wait for them to hatch and get the bugs before they are old enough to lay more eggs.
    Of course on my hair there was no way I was waiting a week so I treated myself at least every second day!
    Also once you have got rid of them there are some natural products with lavender oil etc that are leave-in detanglers that deter any future lice.
    I couldn't help but go through my son's hair and crack any eggs I found between my fingernails....
    We have not had a recurrence. Touch wood.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...