Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rum balls - A family tradition



When I left home at 17, I took my mother's rum ball recipe with me.

I have made them every Christmas since. No matter where I have lived in the world, I have shared these rum balls with friends, teachers, work colleagues and family.







But making rums balls has never been as fun as it has been this Christmas. My children are so eager to help and take on a tradition that they know so well.

Miss Moo Moo practically made this first batch of mixture by herself.



After school the kids rolled them. Yay! finally, there is someone else to roll them.

I have many memories of sitting on the floor watching old movies by the light of a twinkling Christmas tree. Late. Exhausted. Rolling, rolling, rolling. Always leaving things to the night before. Rolling so I could have the rum balls made and ready to share the following day.



I may have some helpers now, but not much has changed. We made our third batch of rum balls yesterday afternoon, ready to be given out for our teachers gifts today.



I wish I could have bottled this moment. My children with their crafted Christmas crowns upon their heads. Rolling, rolling rolling. The carols were loud, LOUD. There was coconut everywhere.

The laughter was infectious!

No, making rums balls has never, ever been this much fun.

3 comments:

  1. I knew there had to be a tin of condensed milk in there somewhere but weetbix! How awesome. And surely that makes them 'healthy', no? Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe please, I see weet bix in the mix. We often have leftover weetbix in the cupboard this would be handy .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...