Friday, August 12, 2011

Art, inspiration and 'family draw' time


(original works by Robert Holcombe)

Last weekend we went to the opening of a art exhibition. Unfortunately, we don't often get a chance to do this, but we really liked the work of the artist, so made the effort this time. I do love a good exhibition opening, always such a fun event and this one was no different. Happy chatting and mini hazelnut bundt cakes, organic Colombian coffee to warm our bones and inspiration abound.


(original works by Mr Moo)

Mr Moo is a graphic designer but hasn't done anything in the way of 'art' - forever. His style is very organic, much like the artist from the exhibition. I think he was just a little inspired. He doesn't get a lot of spare time in his day (read - none) and he doesn't have a little studio in the back yard to disappear to. But... I told him that if he just doodled a little everyday (this advice was inspired by this amazing lady) then who knows what will come of it.

Mr Moo and I have been discussing this family drawing concept a lot recently. Where the whole family sits down for a period of time and draws together. We have done it before, but it is rare that all four of us sit down at the same time. We have been wanting to connect this way again. We have noticed that Spunky Monkey is not drawing so much as he once did, and often when I ask him to draw something he says that he can't do it, eg: "I don't know how to draw an elephant"


(original work by Miss Moo Moo - shopping picture - you will see sausages, a loaf of bread, fruit: a pineapple, an apple, an orange, pineapple juice and milk)

Last night dinner was delayed and we had 10 minutes to wait for our roast chicken to finish cooking. I suggested Mr Moo read a story with the kids, but luckily, for all involved he turned around to me and said, "how about family drawing time?"

We all had so much fun and got so involved with our drawings, sharing colours and offering advice, that I almost forgot about the chicken. Then today I got this e-mail from Mr Moo:

Hi, I just wanted to say that the family all drawing together was a good thing - the kids really enjoyed it, and after years of not doing any art I finally did some and got something out of it as well. I want to do more of this, maybe a weekend thing. Love Mr Moo

I don't think that there could be a better plan.

3 comments:

  1. Oh what lovely QUALITY Family Time, real bonding stuff!! It must have been a wonderful moment for you all to share! :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I think I might just have to have a family drawing moment at my place this weekend too. Well done, Mr Moo (I love his picture too!)! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! simple but fun for everyone, our kids are mad for drawing, painting, crafting, but a great way of spending time together! Will try to remember this one. The family game is very popular in our house - was a Friday institution but has gone by the wayside a bit.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...