Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book week



This morning we had Spunky Monkey's 'book week' parade at school.

Last year, the parade was cancelled. Last year he wanted to go as the tiny seed.

This year, he wanted to go as the tiny seed. We went through some of our favourite books on the book shelf. Ideas were put forth: Charlie (and Lola), the Hungry Caterpillar, Donald Duck, Blinky Bill, the Fly, Knuffle Bunny, Harry the dog, Max... or the tiny seed. Every day for a week I double checked: "Yep Mum, the tiny seed"

On that very first night that we discussed 'book week', he went and pulled the fabric from the cupboard that he already had in mind for the costume. Some half finished, maroon, velour jumper that I had collected in one of my 'fill a bag for $1.00' op shop raids. I drew up a design and got the approval to go ahead. I had intended to put elastic at the top and bottom to make it look more seed like, but as I don't really like sewing, I skipped it, the costume only needed to last the hour after all.

In a sea of costumes (Little Red Riding Hoods, Pirates, Princesses, Tin Men, Dorothy's, Harry Potters, a brilliant Queen of Hearts and a Mad Hatter to rival Johnny Deep himself ) my son stood proud, in his original choice. Sticking firm to who he is (my little nature boy - simple, uninfluenced). My tiny seed.

It wasn't the best costume in the place. But he loved it and I loved him in it. I asked him, when he put it on, "do you like it?"

"It's perfect!"

3 comments:

  1. That is too, too sweet! I have a Harry Potter and a Leif from Deltora Quest going to school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a luke skywalker and then my little miss 4 walked in the parade (even though she is not at school!!) as snow white ... gotta love a kid in dress ups - they just look SO damn cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh meant to add that I have a little giveaway at the moment that might take your fancy if you have the time to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...