Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fridge and pantry love



Today I cleaned out my fridge and food pantry cupboard. And while this might just be the most boring post ever. I am very excited. I did this last week to my large fridge-size freezer in the garage and was amazed by how little my grocery bill was this week. I've been using up all sorts of things I did not know were hiding out there. So today I did the same inside, I even wrote out a list of what was in there and what I could cook with it. Talk about organisation!

Tonight for dinner I cooked an italian sausage and tomato casserole with polenta. Because, for some reason, I had 2 unopened packets of instant polenta in my pantry, something I did not know until about 10 o'clock this morning. For dessert, a trifle using up other things I didn't know I had.

Cake, an orange cake, that had been in the freezer for too long. Add lots of sherry,no problem!
A tin of peaches. I don't even remember buying this. The last time I ate tinned peaches was on my Nana's farm in 1983.
Red jelly. I usually make my own jelly from fresh orange juice and gelatine, but I got caught up in the moment with Miss Moo Moo at the shops last week. This stuff has got to go.
Home brand custard. Another big mistake, I'd bought it ages ago to make custard kisses or something like that. It is not very edible, to be honest, it was even hard to hide it's taste in the trifle. I think the bin is the only place for it.

What kind of things do you find hiding in the back of your pantry/fridge/freezer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...