Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



When my Nana moved into her farmhouse in 1948, on each side of the door, stood a pot filled with an abundance of 'eucharis lilies.' She broke off pieces of this plant and gave them to my mother, my aunt, my uncle, my cousin and me. Often my plants have come within an inch of their life (you know - died) and I have gone to mum for another piece of the original plant. Since living in this house, my little plant has struggled (I think it gets to much sun and needs to be moved). But it will always surprise me with a flower on special days. Birthdays, Valentine's Day, Christmas, Easter, Anniversaries. Today was no exception, as I looked out the window and saw it's fragile bloom.

My Nana is no longer with us, only in spirit and in our hearts.

Happy Mothers Day to all of the beautiful mothers that I know. There are many. I hope you were spoilt with lots of hugs and kisses.

Tonight, as the rain taps softly on the window, I think also of the many, many mother's who have come before us. I thank them for their resilience and their guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...