Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Week - from the time capsule


(The only two surviving photos of me dressed up for Book Week in primary school. Alice in Wonderland and Little Bo Peep)

To say I was devastated when dress-ups for Book Week at Spunky Monkey's school were cancelled, is an understatement. He was unfazed and in truth, probably wouldn't have dressed-up anyway. Just as long as he didn't miss out on the play in the school library, with a real working drawbridge! he was alright. But after weeks of talking about it, I was a little sad.

What has happened to kids dressing up? Disco's for primary school kids instead of Fancy Dress Balls (the highlight of my school years), and now, no Book Week costumes. Perhaps like my photo's, my ideals are old fashioned. But I know I can't be the only one thinking this.

It was lovely to walk into Miss Moo Moo's Daycare and see little storybook characters running about the yard everywhere. Playing tea parties, painting, making shapes from playdough, riding bikes.

Cinderella, the Queen of Hearts, Snow White, Captain Hook, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderful.

Just as Book Week should be.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to old fashioned ideals. Is it because life is just so busy?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...