Thursday, August 5, 2010

A stitch in time



On Tuesday night, craft night was at my house. Thanks to the few who braved the cold and came out, it was a lovely night as usual.

I started embroidering a picture of Spunky Monkey's onto a linen apron I am making for myself. I had put aside a lovely drawing of flowers he did a couple of months ago. But do you think that I could find it? At five in the afternoon, with the linen cut out and the thread ready, it was nowhere to be found! So into his art box I went and found a beautiful alternative. A row of flowers next to a Dutch looking house. (I doubt the house has been intended to look Dutch, but to me it does, I love it.)

I'm not skilled in embroidery, no one has ever showed me how to do it and all I have done so far is a basic back stitch. (is that what it is called?) No one will ooohing or arrrhing over my fine needlework, but that's OK by me. Despite my lack of technique, these are things that I am making with love and hopefully that will enough for them to be treasured by my children and perhaps passed on. I really love that a picture can be given a completely new life, and a tactile one at that.

After the girls left on Tuesday night, I pulled my chair close to the oil heater as if it were a roaring log fire. The house quiet, expect the jazz music that softly filled the room, I continued stitching until I'd run out of thread.

To bed with a happy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...