Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mad Men Mania



Tonight we are going to a friends 40th birthday party. It is a Mad Men Cocktail Party.

I've always dreamed of hosting a 50's/60's cocktail party for New Years Eve. Tuxedos and glimmering evening dresses, someone like Cary Grant pouring the martini's.

That won' t be happening this New Years Eve, so I am pretty excited to be going tonight.





We only got the go ahead from the baby sitter yesterday, so I had done nothing about an outfit, I didn't think we could make the party. In the back of my mind, however, was my vintage red dress, bought before I had children. I knew that if we did get a sitter, it would be perfect. And it would have been, if I hadn't had two (beautiful) children. My body has changed completely, I knew that. I have gone up a shoe size, and given away many of my favourite tops that were either too tight or too short. So why was I so surprised when I could not do up the zip on the dress!

Ahem.... I'm talking about a five inch gap!

Panic. It's 1:00pm, the day of the party. The closest vintage clothing store is nearly 2 hours away!

A deep breath, a little velvet top, and the problem is solved. Skirt and top.



At least I am all set with my favourite vintage, black satin evening bag and a bit of vintage bling.

"Come on Dear, lets go have some cocktails!"

3 comments:

  1. Have a blast!! Yes, they really were a completely different size back then!! Watch out for all the smoke, whiskey, womanisers, sounds awesome, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found a solution to your problem. The dress looks fabulous. Very Marilyn Monroe!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame the dress doesn't fit, it's so gorgeous! You're lucky to have such an enviable collection of bling to save the day. I hope you had a super fun time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...