Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flowers, country drives and presents



The good thing about having my birthday fall on the Queens Birthday long weekend, means I get to have 3 days of birthday celebrations.

Always.

And this year was no different.





I was so very spoilt: flowers, money! and some beautiful presents. For a minute, I forgot that it was all because I was getting another year older.

I remember when my Nana was 85 years old, she told me that no matter what age she was, she always felt 21 years old. To a then 23 year old me, I could not understand what she meant.

Now I get it.



It was a full weekend:

• On Saturday morning, Mum joined us for lovely long breakfast at our favourite coffee shop. Despite the cold, we sat rugged up in wool scarves and jackets, drinking cappuccino's and hot chocolates to keep us warm. The children were happy to ride their scooters and climb trees.

• The afternoon was spent taking a long drive in the country. Making detours and driving along dangerous, unknown roads. We enjoyed the warmth inside of our car as we passed lush green farms of rolling hills, dotted with cows. The pouring rain did not bother us.

• We rediscovered the beauty of this little town and enjoyed a coffee in the old bakery.

• For dinner we celebrated my birthday with Dad, Tiya Ning, Granny and Poppy Don. We shared a Chinese banquet at a local Chinese restaurant. Way too much yummy food!

• On Sunday we sent 'the boys' to the beach and 'the girls' went to the 'two golden hours pop-up shop'. After looking at the gorgeous vintage wares, Tiya Ning and I sat on the verandah late into the afternoon, we watched Miss Moo Moo make friends in the garden, climb trees and collect flowers.

• On Monday we visited Mr Moo's parents for morning tea. They have recently returned from overseas. We enjoyed listening to their travel tales and eating freshly baked scones.

• For lunch I took Mr Moo out to the 'two golden hours pop-up shop'. We ran into lots of people we knew. The weather was perfect. We lingered on the verandah, enjoying the beautiful jazz music, a glass of wine and a delicious lunch. This time I took my camera. This place is gorgeous.

• In the afternoon we went to visit my aunt who had also just returned from travelling. We left with a bag of homegrown lemons, a 5 kilo bag of peanuts from her friends farm and a bundle of fabric she had collected for me.



It was a great weekend, but all that running around has left me feeling a little under the weather. It has been a busy short week, as all short weeks are. In between appointments and play dates, I did manage to curl up under the blanket with Miss Moo Moo and watch the Sound of Music one afternoon.

Sometimes it just needs to be done.

I'll show you some pictures of the lovely Yandina Station tomorrow.

Beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did have a lovely weekend.
    I'll leave your present here on the kitchen bench when you come for your house sitting holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the perfect week end to me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...