Saturday, June 4, 2011

I'm grateful for...



It's been just over one week since Oprah's last show'.

How moving and profound was that show!

Over the last 20 years, I have watched this program when I could. On sick days, in between jobs, on rostered days off and while breasting feeding my babies. Unfortunately, over the last couple of years, time has not allowed me much time to sit and watch TV at 1pm in the afternoon.



(I loved Madonna's words to Oprah)

But after sitting with a box of tissues, watching her last three shows, I have been thinking so much about 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' and about how much her words and often the words of her guests have influenced my life. Different shows for different reasons have had a major impact on the way I think and see things. Salt and nectar has a great post about Oprah and some of her own 'aha' moments.

I have been thinking about one particular episode over the last couple of months. It made me look at the world differently, and how I wanted to live in it..... I think there were a few different women in different circumstances, but the message was the same. It was a show on rich, successful woman who had lost everything (material possessions), one through a house fire, one through divorce. It was the young mother with 2 children, a girl and a boy who stuck in my mind. She had moved into a two room cottage in the country, they all slept in one room and she took up home crafts like quilting, and growing her own vegetables out of necessity. They could not afford a TV or a car and they spent their time together exploring the woods, bike riding, reading and drawing. She stood there glowing, telling how she had never been so happy.

I have always had a 'were there's a will there's a way' attitude, but after discovering Oprah when I left high school, I believed even more in my ability to make things happen. To choose my own destiny. Without Oprah, I wouldn't know about the beautiful Maya Angelou, Kiva or 'not to be taken to the next location'. I would not have started a gratitude journal. I wouldn't even know about Martha. There are so many important books that I have read because of her and beautiful music I have bought.



I am grateful today, that that little girl from Mississippi found her voice and shared it with the world. Look what she has achieved.

What could I achieve?

Go over to 'maxabella loves' for more gratitude posts.

7 comments:

  1. The woman is a Goddess, truly, she is breathtakingly amazing & for me, the show where the divorced mother of 4 who came home form a morning job to find her ex husband had killed their 4 children (aged about 6 to 16) in their sleeps, then himself, OMG, it took me a very long time to recover from that nightmare story, i was only hearing it!! The mother since married someone on her counsel (lawyer or policeman, i can't remember) & they had twin girls, what a slightly happy twist on possibly the most horrible story ever. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I didn't watch the last shows, i have to admit that I am not a big fan of chat shows but I do agree that Oprah has made big achievements. Stopping by from Maxabella's Grateful Saturday

    Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put! I too feel so grateful for Oprah's impact on my life & how I see the world & live my life. SHer words about following your passion and caring for your spirit will be something that will be in me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new foodie blog, it looks great xx Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you are saying. I used to watch Oprah religiously when my older two were babies. Some of her shows, guests and sayings have always stayed with me. I found her last show and words very insightful. I will always love Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely inspiring. She's an incredible woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever watched any of her shows, but from all I know about her Oprah is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...