Friday, July 15, 2011

The magic of a lullaby



A couple of times yesterday, Miss Moo Moo told me she had a sore tummy. "Like string wrapped around it". Poor little thing. Then last night, at 2 in the morning she called out to me. This was the conversation when I entered her dark bedroom:

"My tummy still hurts" - Miss Moo Moo

"I'm not sure what I can do" - Me

"Hush little baby" - Miss Moo Moo

And that was it.

I softly sang the words to this lullaby that has soothed her since she was a baby. She was sound asleep before I got half way through.

It was all she needed.

When my son was 6 weeks old we were given this beautiful CD from a friend. We played it every night at bedtime for the next 18 months until my daughter was born. With a new baby having different needs at 6 o'clock at night, this beautiful night time ritual soon became no more. So instead I choose one of my favourite songs from the CD, and sung it to her at bedtime. I did not know at the time how important that one song would be to her.

Hush, Little Baby 



Hush, little baby, don't say a word.

Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town

6 comments:

  1. I bought a lullaby CD weeks and weeks ago... and that was just the reminder I needed to rip it to mp3 so we can play it in baby's room.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous story - a special memory for you as she grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so sweet. "Like string wrapped around it"... aren't they good at the heart-rending description sometimes? I hope she feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, I love their little innocent descriptions to explain how/what they're feeling...so sweet. And what a beautiful song. I used to sing that song every night to get my little girl to sleep. It always worked a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you put the words there, I always sing part of it then hum the rest...never could remember all the words! Hope sh'e feeling better now! All our love XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for putting down the lyrics! I love to sing along to the first four lines... but now Tilly can hear it all the way through! A lovely ritual!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...