Friday, July 22, 2011

Stood up



We were stood up this afternoon.

We had a play date down at our local park, but our friends did not show. Perhaps I had a premonition, because as I was walking out the door, I added this book to the basket with our afternoon tea. I would never usually do this. Why would I do this? we were going to catch up with friends that we hadn't seen for almost a month.

I have had this book reserved at the library for a while now and I was very excited to collect it yesterday afternoon, but had not even had a chance to open it.

But now, I have just spent a blissful afternoon sitting in the fading sunshine on the grass reading it. The children collected sticks and rode their bikes while the kookaburras laughed in the gum trees surrounding me. My head is now filled with dreaming: of home-cured bacon, keeping chickens and a sprawling productive vegetable garden. And... this book was hot off the press, the new revised edition printed only this year and delivered to the library just days ago.

Bliss indeed.

5 comments:

  1. I love watching River Cottage, sounds like a lovely afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day, even if you missed catching up with your friends. Hope the cookbook was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved watching River Cottage as well. I love cookbooks with a story to read, not just recipes by themselves. It looks like the River Cottage lifestyle is inspiring many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. River Cottage??? Sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love River Cottage when they played it on Austar (which is no longer on in our house) and I really miss it as it was so interesting. Not to mention the unbelievable green-ness of the English countryside. I've never seen the cookbook in real life though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...