Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our future chefs


(the top two finalists - Isabella and Jack)

I know this is yesterday's news, but Australia, have you been watching?



Congratulations to Isabella, Australia's first Junior Masterchef.


(Isabella and her twin sister Sophia)

What an inspiration these children were to me in many ways. I hadn't really watched the other masterchef series, in truth, I don't watch that much TV. However these kids had me from day one.

They were all so very cute, and then they started doing things like tempering chocolate and producing dishes I had never heard of. Nine year olds were begging to cook with lobster and twelve year olds were cooking rabbit and peasant to perfection.

I felt embarrassed by what I was serving up to my children. You know, a lot of pasta and taco's, the usual kind of food kids love. I realised I needed to get my children to help in the kitchen more often. We used to prepare dinner together when the kids were younger, but somehow, with school, things seem to have become so busy. Dinner is often a rush and I rarely find cooking a weekday meal relaxing.

So, I guess we are back here again. Slow down. These kids have made me realise that it is not just sharing a meal as a family that is important, but also, preparing a meal as a family. We are not cooking this way often enough.


(the top 12 finalists, ages 9-13)

It was because of these inspiring children, that last week Miss Moo Moo and I stuffed our chicken with cous cous and braised it whole in the style of Moroccan tagine cooking. I had originally intended to just throw it in the oven with some garlic, herbs and lemon to roast. This would have been easier, quicker and very yummy, but would it have Miss Moo Moo talking about it for days? She told anyone who would listen, that we had stuffed our chicken with cous cous, dried fruit and spices.

If you haven't been watching, you can have a look at the Junior Masterchef website. It is filled with the recipes the kids cooked and lots of cute photos.



I had this great book, "Small Fry." out from the library during the time of the Masterchef series. It is filled with great recipes, great advice and tips to get your kids into the kitchen.

Also.....

I would like to welcome my newest follower, Clare another creative type with two blogs. clare's craftroom and clare's craftroom shop

And....

DON'T FORGET MY GIVEAWAY - DRAWN 19TH NOVEMBER

3 comments:

  1. thank you for your blog visit, glad you like those curtains.. might have to keep them if I can find a window that fits them!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been fun to visit your blog. Aren't those children incredible with what they can cook, I saw the same on the BBC version. Hugs, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...