Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lemons from Grandma



I am dreaming of lemon and poppy seed cake.

A few lifetimes ago, when I first visited Dublin (Ireland) we went into a large warehouse of a bookshop on the banks of the River Liffey. Tall shelves were stacked high with dusty secondhand books. Weak sunlight filtered through high, dirty windowpanes and narrow stairs lead to level after level of creaky, uneven floors. I was in heaven, I could have easily spent my whole week in there. Tucked in a corner of the second or third floor was a cafe. The strong aroma of coffee lead me to a worn wooden table. It was here that I had the best lemon and poppy seed cake ever.

I have tried many, many recipes over the years, nothing has even come close.

I am dreaming of that lemon and poppy seed cake.

(I just did a google search. I believe I am talking about the Winding Stair bookshop. Much changed and cleaned up, but you get the idea. I was there in 1996! I feel so very old!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...