Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Soup to warm the bones


(I wish I had served my soup this way! Image from here)

When I worked in London, many years ago, Cauliflower and Cheese Soup was often on our work menu. At the end of the day, any leftovers went to the staff, most of us, penniless backpackers. We were very grateful. This soup was always a hit when I brought it home and was often requested by my friends on cold weekends too. I haven't made it for ages, obviously Queensland doesn't have the same 'chill' factor as the UK. So I took some guidance from a few different recipes, added this, adjusted that and this is the recipe I have come up with. It's very close to the original I made all those years ago.

Cauliflower and Cheese Soup

serves 4-6

• 50 grams butter
• 1 onion (diced)
• 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
• 1 large cauliflower, approx. 1.3 kilo. (broken into florets)
• 1 large potato (peeled and diced)
• 1 litre chicken stock
• 1 tables. dijon mustard
• 1/2 cup mature cheddar cheese (grated)
• 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
• 1/2 cup single cream
• salt and pepper to taste

• extra grated cheese for serving

Melt the butter in a large soup pot and gently saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the cauliflower, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the cauliflower is very tender. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree. Return to the pot and stir through the cheese and mustard, then the cream. Season to taste and heat through. Serve with extra grated cheese sprinkled over the top.

I only had a mild cheddar cheese in the house last night, next time I might try something sharper or a mix of cheddar and guyrere as was suggested by one recipe.

Psst.... I went over to borrow mum's blender to puree this soup as my blender has died. She had friends there for afternoon tea and they had brought an amazing cake with them. I had a try. Chocolate and red wine cake - Wow! As anybody tried this before? It was amazing. I think I have a recipe somewhere, I might have to try and find it.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...