Saturday, June 5, 2010

World Environment Day



As it is World Environment Day today, I decided to have a look at my ecological footprint. What I discovered was devastating. Lets just say, it would take more than one earth (and we do only have one) to keep supporting my lifestyle. I am very ashamed.

Having children you realize more than ever why it is so very important to care for our world and our environment. I have written a list this afternoon of some habits I need to change.

Here's the list:

• Each person to use one cup per day for drinks of water, etc. With breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, plus 'I'm thirsty'. That's a lot unnecessary cups filling up the dishwasher.

Take shorter showers. I have to actually take notice of the four minute timer stuck to the shower wall, and stop justifying long, hot, lovely showers with "I'm a mum, I'm exhausted, I deserve this!"

• Compost. Compost always, compost properly and compost well. And let our garden reap the benefits. Then mulch.

• Use the car only when necessary, if going 20 minutes away, go only once a week and do every thing that I can when I'm there. I usually do this, but last week - crazy! Here, there and everywhere, everyday!

• Half fill the kitchen sink and soak dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. I must stop rinsing things under a running tap.

• Keep a bucket in the shower to catch the water as it's heating up. Then use it on my inside house plants, they are usually desperate for a drink.

There are so many other things I know I can be doing, but these are the things, that, every time I do them, I feel guilty. So this will be a start.

I also discovered 'little eco footprints', Tricia's lovely blog. Lots of inspiration to keep me on the straight and narrow.

What small changes could you make to give our children and their earth a better future?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...