Monday, May 30, 2011

Bonfire night



We have just spent a lovely weekend away at my cousin's farm.

Seven adults, thirteen children (ages 1-13), a bonfire, a hearty beef casserole, homemade bread and marshmallows. With the little ones tucked into bed we sat cosy by the fire until the wee hours of the morning. I think we might have started a tradition here.

During the day, we helped to plant seeds in her new vegetable garden, talked about preserving and craft and drank endless cups of tea and coffee.

Another great weekend at the farm, made possible by my amazing cousin who makes having a houseful of people for the weekend look so effortless. This is something that she inherited from our Nana, unfortunately a trait I missed out on.

Did I tell you about the homemade quince paste we ate with our wine and cheese? the trays of home baked slices and cakes we ate with our coffee on both days? or that she made the freshly baked bread in between planting seeds and collecting eggs. Oh, and I must not forget about the homemade baileys we drank by the fire. And... she has five children.

Didn't I tell you, this girl is amazing!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds wholesomely delightful.

    Mmmmmm - recipe please for the quince paste.

    xx F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I'm a bit of a Homebody doesn't it! Your words are lovely, Thank you, it was a lovely weekend as always, thanks for sharing with us. Next time, you must stay longer, We didn't get a chance to crochet and drink our Hot Choc by the fireplace... :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be nice if you lived just down the road....I could teach you to float around the house and make everything look effortless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Gooseberry, she does sound amazing. How fortunate that you have each other and your families can enjoy weekends like that, it does sound like a tradition was made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That all sounds amazing .... wishing I knew you so I could come on the next trip - I'm not very good at baking but am a whizz when it comes to washing dishes .... please!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...