Monday, July 12, 2010

English Pub Food


(I had never heard of 'pan haggerty' before today. It is basically thin layered potatoes, onion, and grated cheddar baked in the oven, I'm sure it is really bad for you, but perfect for a cold winters day. I ate it with a salad and a crusty baguette. Yummy! - This picture is from the book)

This morning we woke to perfect sunshine and blue skies. An amazing winters day. However by midday the weather had turned bleak, overcast and cool. So, I made this 'pan haggerty' for lunch from Gordon Ramsay's book, "Great British Pub Food"

Filled with classic English recipes like Lancashire hot pot, roast beef and red wine gravy, steak and kidney pie and toad-in-the-hole. The recipes in this book are a far cry from the food that I cooked when I was working in a London pub.

Like most antipodeans, during my early twenties, I found myself with a 2-year UK working visa and a job in a London pub for a couple of months. During my interview, I thought I had landed my dream job, it didn't take very long to realize that it was not. I did not so much cook, as serve. Frozen plaice and chips, packet steak sauces, frozen pre-made lasagne, rubbery gammon steaks and my personal favourite (not) deep fried crumbed sausages, the thought of them still makes me cringe. With most pub jobs, food and board is free, hence the popularity amongst backpackers. However, I never ate a thing from that menu, not even once.

Speaking of Gordon Ramsay, I have been looking at his 'oven to tableware' and cookware ranges online at 'Buyster'. Hmmm. Time to update some of my old chipped baking dishes I think. Simple and stylish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...