Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First date flashback


(this image is of punting on the River Cam (outside of Cambridge) during the 1950's)

No, we did not go punting, and actually, it wasn't really a date.

But that's what we now call it. It was the first day we spent together after our first initial 10 minute meeting. I was working in South London and Mr Moo was working in a pub in Cambridge (UK). I had taken the bus up to Cambridge for the day but had to wait for him to finish work. So I packed myself a little picnic lunch of cheddar cheese and branston pickle sandwiches (on that yummy bloomer bread, does anyone know it?) and a Kit Kat. I sat under a big shade tree by the River Cam, opposite the pub. I ate my lunch in the early summer sunshine and watched happy groups of friends, punting along the congested river.

With work finished, we headed to the museum and then for coffee and chocolate cake.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Early last week, Mr Moo requested some branston pickles for his sandwiches. There is never really a shortage of homemade pickles, chutneys or relishes the fridge, but yes, it was true, we had run out. So branston pickles it was, as there was no time for preserving anything this week.

I sat down to my own lunch today of cheddar cheese and branston pickle sandwiches and thought instantly of that day, like it was yesterday.

It couldn't really be 15 years, could it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...