Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jack, the lantern



The first and only jack-o-lantern I have ever had, was carved by the chef that I worked with when I lived in London many years ago. I took it home to our house where he sat grinning for a week. The many friends who came and went that week, affectionately called him Jack.

"Hi Jack", they would say as they walked past, and gave him a little pat on the head.

or

"Jack, you scared me!"

Yesterday we bought our first ever carving pumpkin. We are more than ready to start a new tradition in this family. Miss Moo Moo is already hiding around corners and under tables, scaring the bejeebers out of me. She is also walking about the house under blankets and sheets being spooky.

People in Australia, have only started celebrating Halloween in recent years. It is hard to set new traditions for a something that you have never celebrated before. I guess we'll start by carving our pumpkin and make up the rest as we go along. Over the coming years we will find what fits best for our family on Halloween. I'd say it will have something to do with dressing up, scary stories and spooky food.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    saw your bedrooms on Ohdeedoh

    our family lives in NC and it is huge here. Being a foreigner I pride myself on buying the pumpkins and making the pumpkin muffins to nosh on while working outside. The actual carving and skill however goes to hubby and kids.

    We carved last Sunday and already the deer have tipped them off our brick path and stomped on them and I even think nibbled on the edges. So they last great maybe a few days and then start to mould - mind you it is in the low 80's here......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE good! When my son and I were at Coles last week and he wanted a pumpkin, I got him to weigh it and figure out the actual price ($20) so that he'd understand why we're not buying one... I'm starting to think that his Halloween memories are going to be of me telling him that 'We don't do Halloween in Australia', and maybe that's not a good thing. So cheers to you for embracing it! May you all have many happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we brought 4 large and 4 small here at a pumpkin patch for $16 USD which are fun little haunts typically run by churches ( on their grounds) and ate ice-cream/coffee while the children played on the adjoining playground....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...