Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pot luck dinner



Moroccan fish stew.

Do you ever cook meals, where you just throw everything in the pot and hope for the best? I usually call them 'what's in the fridge pasta' or 'what's in the fridge casserole'. What can be infuriating about these meals, is that sometimes (not always) but sometimes they can be the best pasta ever, but, you have no idea of what you actually put into the dish.

This is what happened to me last night, when, dare I admit it, I brought home supermarket fish. I knew that it needed some pretty serious flavours and started thinking moroccan.

This is what (I think) went in to the pot: Some onions, 2, maybe 3 garlic cloves, diced potatoes, half a leftover eggplant, a few strips of red capsicum, a tin of tomatoes (always!) maybe some tomato paste, a carton of fish stock I'd bought a while back, the last olives in the jar, some preserved lemon, some ras-el-hanout, some ground cumin, the last sprinkling of ground corriander, a shake of sweet paprika, a bigger shake of ground ginger, or was it the other way around? salt, pepper and maybe ground turmeric? The before mentioned fish, was added at the end.

It was very yummy and would have been amazing, with good fish. I really wish I would have taken more notice. Then perhaps I could make it again!

Please note, that this dinner was served with rice instead of cous cous for the sake of the little monkeys. Apparently they hate cous cous at the moment and it is best, especially at dinner time, that you choose your battles. And after all, it was a pot luck dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...