Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'm grateful for...



Today I am grateful for my ability to cook and also so for my great love of cooking.

During the week, I was chatting to a friend who told me that she can't cook. Of course she can get by, she has a small family to feed. But while I spent my formidable, teenage years, learning the basics in home economic class, her teenage years were spent globetrotting around the world with other goals in mind. Homemaking, as it was taught in my country high school, was far from her mind. Until this conversation, I think I took this life skill for granted, doesn't everybody know how to cook?

Far from the school kitchens, my Mother and my Nana were, and still are, my greatest influences in how and why I cook.

Apparently, my Mum couldn't cook either, when she was first married, but with the help of the Women's Weekly Cookbooks, she soon learned. I grew up during the dinner party era. Dinner parties were hosted and exciting, new recipes were tried. As for me, I am a recipe addict and rarely cook anything twice. My Nana would call herself a good plain cook. And that's what she was. Perhaps she tried new dishes in her early cooking life, but when I knew her, as a grandmother, she had only a small and simple repertoire of recipes. We wouldn't have had it any other way. She taught me how food and cooking nurtures a family.

And in my husband's words, "food is love", Yes indeed, it is.

Go over to 'maxabella loves' for more gratitude posts.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I wish I wish I enjoyed cooking. I love to bake, but I loathe having to cook a meal every single day and night... groan. I try to love it, I really do. Your post helps a lot. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love to bake but loathe cooking. I'm just not good at it, my husband is, he loves it, it's relaxing for him. I work in a creative industry all day long, so when it comes to preparing dinner for 6 i just groan. I menu plan, i practise, i just lack inclination & flair. My children are starting to cook so maybe i can get away with it?? Guess what, my mother was a chef, oh the shame!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I enjoy cooking and baking very much. After a busy day at work I always find it very relaxing to stand in the kitchen making something delicious.

    Now that I have an allotment garden and can grow my own flowers, fruit and vegetables it makes cooking even more attractive. It always makes me very happy to put something on the table that is homegrown!

    Happy weekend to you!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...