Friday, October 19, 2012

Almost there: Tamworth to Orange


We woke, excited, on day three of our travelling. As it was the day that we would arrive at our destination.



But first we had to have breakfast. We had to have breakfast at this little espresso bar, we had spotted while walking the night before.



The place was packed, with a great atmosphere: happy chatter, busy waiters, friends catching up and families, just like us. We sat out on the footpath and I peeled of my scarf and jacket and enjoyed the early morning sunshine. It was only 14 degrees, but I had the perfect spot. The kids ate sourdough toast with homemade strawberry jam and I had the amazing 'eggs royal' (eggs benedict with smoked salmon) and a very good coffee. Really, we should have started off our day early. But I just loved Tamworth and I'm glad we stopped and took the time for such a delicious breakfast.



And a quick tourist stop before heading off. It had to be done.







The closer we got to Orange the more I enjoyed the countryside. It was so beautiful.

We drove through such pretty towns. This is Coonabarabran.

I really had to be firm with myself when we drove through Gunnedah and right past the showgrounds were Porchetta Day was being held. I slowed a little near the gate, but the kids kept me on the straight and narrow.

"NOOOO! No stopping! We just want to get to Orange!"

They were lucky I was still very full from such a huge breakfast. Next time I might need to plan my holidays around this festival.


I fell head over heads in love with this farmhouse and it's surrounding buildings.




By about 1:30pm we stopped at a beautiful park in Gilgandra for a late lunch, Again, it was another beautiful park and we had a hard time trying to pull ourselves away from it. The afternoon was lovely, warm sunshine and gentle breezes. I lay on the picnic blanket watching the leaves dance against a perfect blue sky, I listened to the sound of the children laughing with new found, park friends. Bliss.







When it was time to leave Orange, we did not jump up, eat breakfast and get on the road. No. We pottered, we repacked, we had another cup of tea. We left at about 11:30am. Half an hour into the drive, I wondered would I ever make it back to Queensland. I felt so very tired. I was coming down with the flu.

So after only half and hour, we stopped for a coffee, a quick op shop and a walk around. There is nothing like new oppie finds and caffeine to recharge the batteries. We were soon on our way again, and heading back to Tamworth.

We stopped for a late lunch here, yes, another beautiful park. I think this was Coonabarabran. And again I had to force myself to get up and get going again. These cold climate parks just remind me so much of my time spent overseas. Oh, the trees! I love the age, the shapes, the bark, the unusual leaves and the shade they provide. Tree love. Yes, indeed!

Go here, to see who else will be blogging daily for Blogtoberfest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by .... looks like you are enJOYing your journey! love the yellow canola fields ... & there's nothing like a great Op Shop find for sure! ....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...