Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day two: Stanthorpe to Tamworth

We were a little bit slow getting started on day two of our trip.




We woke to freezing Stanthorpe temperatures and torrential rain. Everyone woke up early and climbed into bed with me. We refilled our hot water bottles and snuggled deep under the covers. When I peered out of the window, it looked as if it would rain for 40 days and 40 nights. However while I had a shower the kids did a 'go away rain' dance.





Picture two children dancing around a very tiny cabin and singing: "Rain, rain, go away, come again another day". (I'm glad I was in the shower) But it worked. By the time I was dressed, the rain was gone.

We (I guess that's me) wanted to go to the museum in town. We ate a simple breakfast and then went down town for a bit of op shopping until the museum opened at 9:30am.


We loved the museum, there will be a separate post about this. I love historical museums with buildings set up this way. We were still in Stanthorpe at 12:30pm.




Today, it was the brilliant yellow of wattle edging the side of the road, that caught my eye.


We drove only to the next town of Tenterfield before deciding that, we were indeed, hungry for lunch.


We stopped at a beautiful little cafe and bric brac store. After wandering through the shop we lunched out on the the back verandah, in what I can only describe as, the most perfect secret garden. Lunch was delicious. A proper homemade hamburger with piles of fresh salad, and great coffee, the kids had ham and cheese toasties and chocolate milkshakes. We didn't leave here for another hour and a half.

That might have something to do with the fact that I lost my car keys!!! Hmmm. What to do when you are very far, far from home with very far, far to go and no car keys? After much searching and only moments before I sat down and cried, Spunky Monkey, kicked something that jingled. There they were, upstairs in the bric brac shop, half under a turkish rug.

Phew!!









This was one of the most enchanting gardens I have ever known. The abundance of blossom trees and bare branches, some blooms rediscovered and loved for nostalgic reasons (wisteria and the may bush). I loved the chill in the air. It was a temperature that I had not experienced since leaving London over 15 years ago. It was so peaceful, I could have sat there for days.

I will be writing later about my love affair with the seasons. Again, that will be another post. I love the seasons.



It was a big afternoon of driving and no stopping, straight through to Tamworth for the night.

As Spunky Monkey slept, Miss Moo Moo and I watched the landscape out of the window change from apple orchards to paddocks. Spacious green hills, dotted with woolly sheep and black cows that we were not used to seeing.

I have always loved driving through the countryside during the late afternoon. This was a favourite time of my driving day. The children were usually quiet and I got to listen to my music. I could enjoy the way the golden sunlight would dance through the shadows of the trees, across the road and into the paddocks beyond the old worn fences. This was the time that the galah's and parrots would be feeding on the shoulders of the road. I loved seeing all of this bird life. It seems ridiculous to say, but we never see this. As the birds fed in the quiet of the late afternoon, it reminded me of that time of day on my Nana's farm. It was nice.



After checking into a motel for the night, we headed straight down to Peel Street to get some dinner.

We instantly loved it. We loved the wide footpaths and twinkle lights strung up in the branches of the deciduous trees lining the street. We loved that we could sit alfresco and eat our pub dinner. We can't do that anywhere near where we live. And can I tell you, Mr Moo does a pretty good steak, but the $12.00 rump special that I ate that night, might just be one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Yum.

I ended up finishing off, not only a huge steak and chips, but half of the kids schnitzel deal too. It was just as well we were able to walk it off. After dinner we leisurely wandered the length of Peel street: window shopping, running, laughing, jumping, climbing. (I was not running, jumping or climbing)


Hanging out with Smoky Dawson in downtown Tamworth.


On our second day of driving, on the way home, there were less stops.







However, we did manage to while away well over an hour at this lovely park in Glen Innes. We made a picnic of chicken salad rolls, strawberries and chocolate hazelnut wafers. The kids enjoyed the playground and I enjoyed a few moments with a Country Style magazine, before I was beckoned to come exploring. Once again, we were head of heals in love with the trees in this park.





We couldn't return to Queensland without taking photo of the kids, hands down, favourite tree. The beautiful weeping willow. We will miss seeing them on our travels.


Go here, to see who else will be blogging daily for Blogtoberfest.

2 comments:

  1. You've certainly captured some lovely scenery on your journey. I Love Miss moos love heart looking glass. Gorgeous photos. We miss you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing you too:) Miss Moo Moo just did that when I went to take a picture, I was blown away. It is one of my favourite photos. Actually there are many new favourite photos from our trip.

      xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...