Monday, October 15, 2012

In our garden... right now



What a surprise! Down the side of the house, the hippeastrums have bloomed. Love. Love.

I told you, exciting things are happening.


The chinese jasmine is going crazy, scenting the warm afternoon breezes.


A couple of 'pots of colour' at my front door.



As for the vegetable garden: more productive than ever. We started out with neat little rows, but when I ran out of space, we basically stuck things in willy nilly. All the plants seem to be happy with that and growing well. Silverbeet, butter lettuce, mizuna and mint.



These are the largest mint leaves we have ever produced. I'm loving adding them to salads.






The tatsoi is thriving, we will need to make something with that this week. Any ideas? And the zucchini's plants are the best ever. So far so good, many of the bushes are with perfect yellow flowers this morning.



Last years kale never saw the light of day. It was gobbled up long before it started to grow. It was our biggest garden failure. This year all three types of kale have been growing well, until.... about 2 days ago, I noticed that the grasshoppers have found it! I might cook with kale this week too.


Out the front, our boxes and pots are looking good. Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, beetroot, eggplants. This may look a little messy, but it's working. Our land slopes up so you can't see this from the road.



I feel like my Nana with all of these pots all over the place. It is just another reason I am finding happiness in my garden.
 
Mixed lettuce and capsicum. Could this be the year we finally grow capsicums?


Very happy eggplant plants. We have tried growing these for years as well, once I think we got a small eggplant, but turned out to be edible.

But look at the same plants that we just 'stuck in the ground'. That's an eggplant on the left from the same punnet as above and the other plant is a snow pea plant. This is the garden that surrounds the front tanks. This is the garden that needs to be improved - obviously!

The number one job to do in the garden this week: buy some more styrofoam boxes and some more potting mix. I need to replant the snow peas, eggplants and some cucumber bushes that were 'just stuck in the ground.'

I haven't spoken here yet, about my rose bushes that I bought earlier in Spring. This week I am going to see if I can save them!! Yes a rescue mission, is the other thing on my gardening 'to do' list. I think I have been given some misinformation about how to care for roses here in Queensland. I'll let you know how I go with that.

Go here, to see who else will be blogging daily for Blogtoberfest.

I'm sorry that I missed a day of blogging. I have been very sick with the flu and yesterday, pretty much did not get off the couch. The computer didn't even get turned on, now that's what I call sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...