Wednesday, October 17, 2012

On the road - Brisbane to Stanthorpe

This was the first and last leg of our trip. Everything after Brisbane was new to us.

We are not seasoned road trippers, we really did take it slow, with lots of lingering stops in between. I don't think there was a day when we got going before 10am. We had all the time in the world. It was just how we wanted it.


Just outside of Brisbane, lantana decorated the road side in bright, fruit tingle colours.









We were happy to leave the highway and enter into farming country, it had been a while since I had been for a drive in the country. It was just want I needed .

Tractors everywhere: in the paddocks and on the roads. The landscape was dotted with crumbling outbuildings and sheds. Weathered timber, rusting roofs, crooked posts made from tree trunks, tumbling fences and barbed wire.





Our first road side lunch stop: chicken legs, zucchini slice and fresh fruit. We stretched our legs and enjoyed the warm breeze, upon which, came the smell of the countryside. Grass, cows, horses, dirt. Bees buzzed. Ants scurried. Bliss. We were glad to be on holidays.





One good thing about travelling without Mr Moo was that we could stop anywhere, and for as long as we liked. This is my new favourite place. Aladdin's Cave. If only I'd had a ute!


After Cunningham's Gap, we saw different types of trees in the landscape and beautiful old farmhouses. Blossom trees in all colours of pink and white dotted the side of the highway.


We drove into Warwick and were struck by it's beauty. Beautiful old buildings and gardens filled with roses and lavender lined the streets!! Now that what I call a pretty country town. I fell in love all over again with wisteria, growing crazy wild, everywhere.






We stopped here for coffee and chocolate cake, which we took to the local park. Now this was a park, well kept lawns dotted with giant trees, neat flower beds and a couple of good playgrounds.




This is my new favourite tree. Does anyone know what it is called?



This was our first blossom tree of the trip - I was in love.





Some old fashioned playground fun. Did I mention that I loved this park.



Almost dark, we were close to Stanthorpe, were we stayed for the night.


The first apple trees that I have ever seen (yes really!) So pretty with there bare branches and a few tiny new blooms.

Arriving late in town we stayed at some cabins and went straight away to get dinner. Unfortunately, we ended up eating some very bad takeaway. Miss Moo Moo played with her fish and chips before looking up at me and pushing her plate away. "That fish is disgusting" she said to me in a whisper. I tasted it, it was. Spunky Monkey then told me he couldn't eat any more. I tasted his hamburger. I can not even describe it, I'm not sure what they did to that meat (if that's what it was) to give it the texture and flavour that it had. He had eaten half of it. I felt like the worst mother in the world and wondered would we be rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night.

We all felt very sick and went back to the room and ate a punnet of strawberries.

We vowed, no matter what, we would not eat fast food again on this trip.

There are no photos of our last day of travelling, as you can imagine, we were a little over it all by then.

Go here, to see who else will be blogging daily for Blogtoberfest.

4 comments:

  1. Your pics are glorious, what a special time you had, well that is except for the takeaway ... that's so gross;(
    Thanks for popping in to visit loving Blogtoberfest too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment:)

      We are not big takeaway people, but it seemed like, that night, our options were limited. Basically it just reconfirmed our ideas about fast food!

      xo

      Delete
  2. A lingering road trip like this is so perfect. Take away can be a necessary evil on the road, but I think some is more evil than others! Glad you were all okay. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect getaway, those lantana flowers are amazing and Aladins Cave looks like my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...