Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Recuperating

 a walk in the clouds

 the secret lives of bees

 fried green tomatoes

 sense and sensibility



anne of green gables


little women

the duchess

For as long as I can remember, this has always been my way of slowing down. 

When I was a child and school holiday mornings were spent running about my Nana's farm, I welcomed the midday movie. I would come in from the heat and sit with my Nana to watch old movies: Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Doris Day, Julie Andrews, Shirley Temple, Jerry Lewis, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly and all of those wonderful Busby Berkeley movies.

When I was saving to go overseas, in my early twenties, I worked two jobs, six days a week. For six months, I left home at 7:30am and came home at 10:00pm on most of those six days. Sunday was my day of rest and most Sunday afternoons I could be found on my mums couch watching movie after movie. I really was too tired to do much else.

Even when I lived overseas, this was a Saturday afternoon ritual. Most Saturday's went like this: my friend and I would go to a gallery or out shopping, often it was to Portabello Road Markets, as we could walk there from home. We would get some lunch to take home with us and be home in time for the mid afternoon movie on the BBC: Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Kathryn Hepburn, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson, Sophia Loren.

And for the month before my son was born, I spent a lot of time lying on a mattress in the lounge room, my swollen feet elevated up on the coffee table. It was so hot and my feet hurt, what else was there to do, than watch movies? This was the first time I discovered 7 movies for $10.00!

Now I'm a mum, there is no ritual of movie watching. I might put a dvd on, on a Friday night, but I rarely see more than half and hour before either falling asleep on the couch ( I hate this) or turning it off and going to bed.

But if I'm am sick or feel I need some rest time, I will still put on a movie in the afternoon. If I am sick, I hate to go to bed and sleep even though I know that it is what I really need. And often, if I pick up a book, seeking some quiet time, I find that the words just dance around the page, I will read a paragraph four times and usually put it down in frustration.

No, if I need to recuperate, getting lost deep into a movie is the perfect cure. The perfect way to recharge my batteries. I have not been able to shake this dreaded flu since arriving back from holidays. Today I feel better, but still exhausted. I must catch up on some housework (read MUST in large letters) Will I put on a movie later today? We will see.

These are the movies that I have watched over the last couple of weeks while being knocked out with this flu. As you can see I'm a bit of a romantic. Period dramas are the perfect escape.

Go here, to see who else will be blogging daily for Blogtoberfest.

6 comments:

  1. Those old movies (deanna durbin ones were my personal fave) evoke lots of comforting memories for me too-they always on tv when i was home sick from school, and during school hols in the morning when no one else but me would be out of bed. I must get anne of green gables on dvd, i could watch that a million times over! Good luck with blog fest x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a soft spot for Anne of Green Gables too. I have just got it from the library on dvd, I am trying to convince my daughter that it is one of the best movies (series) ever:) Unfortunately she is much more interested in Rapunzel (Tangled) right now, poor Anne with an 'e' is not getting a look in.

      Delete
  2. What a great seslction! Many of these movies are favorites of mine and live on my dvd shelf to come out when I am tired, sick or avoiding something (school report writing at the moment!). Enjoy if you decide to save the housework and watch another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kate, I did do a little housework yesterday, although I have to confess to watching the beginning of "The Horse Whisperer" will folding some washing:)

      Delete
  3. I too love all these movies!! Especially anything Jane Austin:)I think I may have passed on the romantic gene to my eldest daughter...yay!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my daughters favourite movies are Funny Face, Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music and High Society.

      Thank goodness for that:)

      xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...