Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the state of shock!


(image from here)

I knew that I would eventually be writing about this relentless rain.

The floods that are increasingly spreading across the 'Sunshine State' of Queensland are devastating. Now, with not only homes and businesses lost, but lives too. While I feel, we are the lucky ones (touch wood) I am anxious as I write. Many family and friends have been isolated or stranded. My Dad is one of them. I trust that he is safe, in a high part of the town, but the town is fast running out of bread, milk, petrol, etc. More rain last night isolated his town even further.

On another sobering note, my uncle is due to have an emergency heart operation this afternoon. Four days ago, he drove himself to a Brisbane hospital. He is alone, his wife is 4 hours away. Their home town has been isolated for over 3 days. This morning the power has been cut and there is a threat of a water wall for the town and surrounding communities. People are been evacuated as I write.

Many, many lives and communities will be changed forever. Such hardship is ahead.

Prayers for all.

Read more about "our darkest hour " here, or if you are in Australia, turn on the TV.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that all of your family move through this incredible event safely and that your Uncle has a positive outcome from his operation.

    Felicity x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and hopes to all your family.
    We too have been watching the news all day (past two days), except for this evening while we had a blackout. Back on how, and there's so much more footage that is devastating us.
    My sister's house may be affected by the waters, we have to wait until morning to see what happens.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts are with you for your Dad and your Uncle and all your Brisbane friends. Hope the news is good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you our love and the strength to get through whatever the coming days, weeks and months will bring you.
    My husband and I feel as if we have been given an extra perspective of what you are going through, having lived through the christchurch earthquake a few short months ago. Hug your children, give them lots of extra reassurance and bond with your neighbours. From times of adversity, amazing things can emerge, you've just got to keep your eyes open and see it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...