Thursday, January 13, 2011

Queensland Flood Appeal Dolly Drive



Meet Eric and Esme

At the end of last year you may have read on my blog, that I had used the simple dolly template on the Dolly Donations website to make six dolls.

Two were posted on to the South Pacific by Operation Christmas Child. You can read more here. Four were sent to Haiti. You can read more here.

I made Eric and Esme for my own children for Christmas. You are right, they did not need more toys, but they were given for an entirely different reason. To encourage talk and acknowledgment of other children and other communities, in less fortunate circumstances. They have done their job well.

But I now have a new job for them. They will be the face of the Queensland Flood Appeal Dolly Drive. Yes, I am hosting a Dolly Drive.

So, what do I ask of you?

• I would like you to make a doll or soft toy. You can use the simple pattern on the Dolly Donations website or another if you prefer. Make a doll, make an owl, make a robot. Make one, make five. Make it simple, make it detailed. It's totally up to you. If you have never made a doll or soft toy before, I urge you to try. There are loads of tips of the Dolly Donations website, plus many more on the internet.

• At the moment I am giving a temporary close date of the 18th March. As we are still at the centre of this crisis, I am not sure where the dolls will be sent, but I thought it was best to start the drive now. That way more dolls can be made.

• If you want to be part of the Dolly Drive, please let me know and I can add your name to our Dolly Drive list. For every person who puts their hand up, another, may be inspired.

• Once your doll is made, please contact me via e-mail

• Please add one or both of my 'Queensland Flood Appeal Dolly Drive buttons' (found in my sidebar) to your own blog. Help spread the word.

If you have any ideas of where or how we can deliver the toys to new owners in need, please let me know. I had thought, perhaps a daycare or kindy that may have been affected? But I really need your help on this. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Please help me put a smile on some little faces. So many families are and will be facing such hardships. A little bit of crafting is the least we can do.

Take some time to have a look at Sarah's Blog, showing many other dolly drives around the world. It's so very inspiring.

Please don't forget that the Queensland Flood Appeal Auction starts here on Monday 17th January. A master list of other crafty auctioneers can be found here.

25 comments:

  1. Woohoo so good of you to do this - count me in - I have one Mamma Bear I have almost completed, she can be my first donation. I will do some more. Talk soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please count me in too. I've got some great patterns from Bit of Whimsy Prims (http://www.etsy.com/shop/bitofwhimsyprims) and I'll whip one up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done, I wish I could make one. I'll look at some tutorials & get back to you if I can.

    goodluck with it all ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, yay you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely join in - I was relieved to see your closing date because I am a bit of s slow crafter but that will be ample time. Hmmmm now what shall I make....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, can you please add me to your list! Thanks so much for being someone to do this! Have just chatted about it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm keen to join in. Have already emailed as I'd like to donate previously made softies. I'll post the link just as soon as I've managed to find my way through the chaos that is currently my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. count me in please, will add your button to my blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I have just sent two little softy friends to Steph, and I have two owls that are perched ready to hoot over to your place, I will email you for your address. Please take a look at my blog about Steph's drive, I will make a posting for the owls coming to you toooo!
    Many thanks for your initiative and the planning that you will be doing, posting owls to you is the easy part.
    Best wishes
    Val xx Oxfordshire UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, it's me Val .... forgot to give you my blog address!!
    http://blog.bellabag.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to join in :) I don't have a blog, but I'll share your link on facebook :)

    I made one last night - first time I've made a doll (I only just got my sewing machine for Christmas!) it wasn't too hard at all! Just a teensy fail in the arm department which was fixed. I have 3 more cut out and ready to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work I would love to help too, add me to your list. Kind Regards Treann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jackie, If you have time to peek at my blog (pleeeeeeease leave a comment if you do :0) you will see the Hoot Family that are on their way to YOU!
    love and good wishes
    Val xx Oxfordshire UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad it's not too late to join in! As an adopted Queenslander (and Brisbane-ite) I watched the crisis unfold last week in complete disbelief. Not able to volunteer my time to the clean-up was frustrating, but I would love to make a couple of dollies for the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I just found you via another blog with the Dolly Drive button. I'm in South Australia and feeling rather useless to help but THIS I can do! I will add you to my list of blogs I follow (so I can get back here) and get making. I know just what to create.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS - how do I put your button on my blog? I've done it once before when I could copy some code from another blog, but I don't know where to find that code for yours? (Sorry, newbie blogger here.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I'm in Melbourne and I'd LOVE to get in on this - sooo, ad me to your list and I'll get sewing! Kudos to you!
    Miss Beck (www.vaavoom.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    What an awesome idea. I'm over in Perth and we really feel for everyone affected by this horrible event, especially the kiddies. I'd love to make a doll or two to help those kids through it all. Please add me to your list.
    www.cottonspool.blogspot.com

    Sam O :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your gorgeous blog and absolutely love your idea to donate a dolly. My family are in Toowoomba and thankfully were spared from the carnage but my friends weren't so lucky.
    Please include me in on your Dolly Drive - www.dallicottage.blogspot.com
    hannah@dallicottage.com.au

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would so love to help and make a dolly. Has your button got a html code thingy??? It is probably staring me right in the face, just can't see it.
    Thanks for organising dolly drive, great effort!! I live in Brisbane so if you need any more help please let me know. Megan (oliveandesther@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello. I have just put your dolly drive button on my blog and will make one (or maybe more) dollies. I'm seriously thinking about hosting a dolly drive for the Victorian floods, it is such a great idea. Wish I'd thought about it after the bushfires two years ago. Thank you! Celia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, the lovely skippingdaisies asked me to pass on her winning of one of my dolls Super B to your drive from my donation (how lovely is that!) to the Flood Relief appeal. So Super B will be heading your way along with another Super Girl.
    What an awesome idea. xxK

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wondering if you could email me @ karenagustin at live dot com dot au, as my emails keep bouncing back. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Karen,I have sent an e-mail on to you, hope you get this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heya,

    Could you please email me through the details of where to send my dolly to?
    I'm super sorry, I realize it's a couple of days late now I just totally lost track of time. I hope you can still accept it?

    Thanks so much!

    sam.outten at gmail dot com

    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...