Saturday, January 22, 2011

New challenges

Last week I signed on to be part of two new challenges, 'mousehouse's' Organised Home Challenge and 'five green acres' The Rumpelstiltskin Challenge. Usually I'll we be writing about them on a Friday, but yesterday disappeared with appointments, before school shopping, and oiling furniture. So here I am today.





The Rumpelstiltskin Challenge is all about making things with what you already have in your cupboard. In fact, I have been doing this for everything that I've made in the last six months. It is in part, that I have been following the Dottie Angel Challenge, but I have also done it for the gifts and dolls I have made too. This is the quote I have repeated to myself, every time that I have wanted to rush of to the shops and buy new supplies.

"Do what you have, with what you have, where you are"

This week I made two pillow cases from a Tasmanian tablecloth. My family went to Tasmania on a holiday when I was about eight years old. We bought the exact same souvenir tablecloth, that my Dad still uses daily. I knew that Dad would not part with our old tablecloth and that he would never understand why I would want to turn a 30 year old tablecloth into a cushion. So, I was thrilled when I found this at a local op shop.

I made these, this week because:

• This tablecloth had recently been washed and was still in the laundry. It seemed easier to make up the cushions than to find a spot for it in the craft room.
• Australia Day is coming up and I thought it would be a nice way to decorate the house for the day, however I love them so much, they might just stay where they are for now.
• After last week, I was in a cushion making mood.
• The study/craft room has been cleaned up. What a difference this makes to creativity. I can actually get to my sewing machine without tripping over the filing or a pile of secondhand books. I know where the tape measure is and I was able to easily find the grey cotton.



It was obviously no coincidence that I borrowed this book from the library last week. It seems that I am not the only one who needs to de-clutter, simplify and organise! I have joined the Organised Home Challenge to help me with this.

First and foremost I need to organise my time better. I have been making lists: our daily routine, my daily jobs, the kids daily jobs (we'll see how that goes!) menu plan charts, grocery list sheets, family day ideas, birthday lists, christmas cards lists, a family traditions list. I am currently in the process of going all 'Martha Stewart' and making a calendar list like this. Perhaps I'll share it when I'm done. If you don't think I've gone crazy?



This weeks main focus, was to clean up our lounge room. It was mess, filled with things I had moved in there from the study, christmas decorations that had not been put away, christmas presents that needed a home and a pile of half finished craft projects. I also had all of the cushions off the lounge, to air it out after all of the rain. I am grateful that we also have a family room, because you could not walk into the main lounge room.

First I cleared out all of the things in there that did not belong. I moved furniture and vacuumed, beneath and behind it, I dusted the bookshelves and sorted the books, I washed the windows, sills and skirting boards. I removed the video player that had not worked for over 6 months and packed up all of he old videos and took them to my Mum's place. I feel very happy now when I walk past. I just stand and smile.

Now on to the next room...

• I found this website, The organised housewife, after I had made up all of my own lists.

• The real simple website goes hand in hand with the book I have just borrowed

• And if you really want to knock yourself out in the organising department, there is always Martha.

Please don't forget that the Queensland Flood Appeal Auction has started and ends at midnight on Monday 24th January. A master list of other crafty auctioneers can be found here.

AND

Don't forget my Queensland Flood Appeal Dolly Drive.
Perhaps you'd like to join us

2 comments:

  1. I need to do all of the above and then some more - well done, your loungeroom looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, your lounge looks amazing, and i love your couches! what a great feeling doing all of that. my craft nook is shaping up nicely, quite a novelty to see the whole desk nearly! going to check out the martha stewart calendar list now, sounds good! and going to put a link to your post on my blog and facebook page :) x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...