Saturday, March 26, 2011

I'm grateful for...



Today I am grateful for......... the Arts.

This morning we went to see "The Gruffalo". A favourite story adapted by the very clever, Tall Stories Theatre Company in the UK. It was brilliant. I'm so glad that the show was able to make it to our little part of the world

Earlier on in the week, we also went along to our school's 'Music Night.' It was a really fun night. The school choir sang beautifully, the teachers did a great Abba sequence (very funny) and the boys choir 'rocked' as all good 8 and 9 year old boys should.

I know for a fact, that seeing shows like these as a young child, encourages a life long love of the theatre.


(image from here)

Take myself for example. I looooove marionette puppets. I remember sitting in our huge town hall with all the other 6 year olds in Grade One, watching the puppet show, "Peter and the Wolf." The School Arts Council travelled to small towns bringing culture to the country folk. I for one, am very glad that they did.



And more puppet love. I think that watching the 'Sound of Music' every school holidays, also had something to do with my enthusiasm for these little wooden people. The 'puppet theatre scene' is definitely still one of my favourite parts of the movie. My kids love it too.

Go over to 'maxabella loves' for more gratitude posts.

8 comments:

  1. my 4 year old's pre-school took them all to the Gruffalo show when it came here- they loved it- I love seeing their little faces when they go to live shows- it's magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just bought the Gruffalo movie and it is so sweet and beautiful. I love snuggling up with the kids and watching it together. Would love to see a play of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw the Gruffalo in Canberra last year. It was great fun and my kids still sing the songs (Sad?). Thanks for linking up to Maxabella's Grateful For linky this week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love the gruffalo in this house too, would love to see it as a performance...maybe the show will come to Arts Margaret River soon! I love the arts too and you are right, a fabulous thing to be grateful for

    Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Gruffalo stage show is fantastic isn't it.

    It reminds me that I was going to book tickets to see "The Gruffalo's Child".

    I think I can recite both books from memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We too love The Gruffalo, I haven't seen the show I believe we missed it. As far as the books go I love The Gruffalo's child even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know anyone who doesn't love The Gruffalo! But puppets, I confess I have a funny aversion to them. Too many horror movies with talking puppets perhaps?

    But love that you're loving them. How arty of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We took our kids to The Gruffalo about a year ago and then-2y.o. was mostly terrified and spent most of it out in the foyer. But he remembers it very fondly and still talks about it a lot! Glad to hear you talk of Qld arts council shows. My husband was part of a company that toured a lot up there 10 - 15 years ago. Hard work and we spent many weeks apart. He's now artistic director of the SA kids theatre festival (called Come Out), bringing international work here. He's so passionate about arts experiences for kids. (I'm kinda proud... excuse my bragging about him!) Oh and funny you should mention the Sound of Music too... we've been watching it this last week and the kids are entranced by the puppet show!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...