Tuesday, March 22, 2011

'Pancake Day' Pancakes


(Pancake image from here)

This recipe has been requested, it is the recipe that I use to cook our 'Pancake Day' pancakes every year.

As a child we did not celebrate Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday. It was only when I went to England when I was 23 years old that I discovered the tradition. As you may already know, if there is food involved in a celebration, I'm in!

A very dear friend cooked these pancakes for me on my first ever Pancake Day.

'Pancake Day' Pancakes

(Pancakes with lemon and sugar
)

makes 12

• 1 cup plain four
• pinch of salt
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup of milk
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons butter (melted)

to serve

• lemon wedges
• raw sugar

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs. Gently whisk a little flour into the egg. In a jug, mix together the milk, water and melted butter. And add to the flour to make a batter. The batter should be the consistency of pouring cream. Don't worry if there are still little lumps in the mixture and don't overmix. Heat a frying  pan over a high heat and add a little butter for frying. Fill a ladle with a quanity of 2 tablespoons and pour into the pan, tilt the pan from side to side to get an even coating of the batter. Cook for 30 seconds on each side, until pale golden and crisp at the edges. Stack the pancakes as you go. To serve: sprinkle the warm pancakes with some raw sugar and squeeze over the lemon juice.

This recipe is from 'Delicious' Magazine, March 2007 issue.

2 comments:

  1. happy to see you today, my friend

    let me know if you make the cookies
    they really are good...
    i LOVE that little milk bottle too

    :-)
    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank-you so much for posting this recipe. I will be making these for Saturday morning breakfast before we go to soccer.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...